Thursday, March 7, 2013

Something new... what to do?

The number of "couples" that I know has increased exponentially in just a short amount of time.
(And yes. I mean more than one. I'll be talking about different people/situations in this blog, so don't think I'm singling out a certain person/couple.)
Although I am unquestionably happy for these individuals, I am also utterly baffled.
Not by the fact that they are in relationships per se (although, that's new too), but that I have no idea how to act about it.

I always knew that these girls were great. Now guys are starting to take notice. 
My friend has been in her first "real" relationship. He asked her if she wanted to be his girlfriend, and she was like, "Heck, why not?" ......it didn't last more than a week. It's a High School thing, I guess. 
Another friend had her first major High School crush. This lasted MUCH LONGER.... but died off fast after some Facebook stalking revealed a secret girlfriend. 
My sister is in a pretty serious relationship now. It's her first, but it's serious because she's the kind of girl who doesn't play around with things like this. 
My sister (but not by blood) has been on several consecutive dates and "hang out" sessions with an old friend who recently returned from his mission. I'm not very well-informed on this one. And I don't know how much to assume.
My younger sister was asked to Homecoming. Something in all my years of eligibility in High School dances... I've certainly never accomplished. 
And then there's the guys who constantly seem to fill the inbox of a few of my friends' phones with messages that would be far too awkward to say aloud. This baffles me. Why would you text something that no normal human being would ever, under any circumstances say to another person's face?
I'm too busy wondering how I'm supposed to react to all of these changes to wonder why I'm being left out. 

I have about a million things running through my head. 
I should be supportive, but is it ok to joke.... is it too early on?
 I didn't think it was a big thing and then I find out it is.
How much attention is too much attention? 
I don't want to be anybody's mother, "So, how is So&so.... have you two held hands yet?" But I still want to know. Is it ok to bring it up in normal conversation?
Am I reading too much into things... or not enough?


We used to joke about finding our eternal companions after the second coming "I'm holding out for my Hun!" saying we'd have to wait to get some guy that was killed prematurely in some awful war and still deserves love.
And right now it seems like I'm the only one still on that path. Things change so quickly. 

Some things are incredibly fleeting and others, as my dear sister says, "could go on for awhile." 


Which means that I'll probably get used to seeing loved ones in relationships. Eventually.
But it makes sense that I'll have to learn to be comfortable around/interacting with couples before I can foreseeably be part of one. 
But don't worry. It'll be a little while longer before I am comfortable with either of these ideas or realities.


2 comments:

  1. You're allowed to ask those "motherly" questions because they're not actually mother like. They're more friend like so you're golden on that :) Or you can not, one time one of my friends was in a relationship. I didn't even care so i didn't ask. no harm :)

    Curse BHS and it's lack of handsome boys that aren't dumb. No worries, when you go to BYU there will be tons of boys. ;)

    Facebook me and you'll be filled in... in no time.

    I love you dearly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always Alayna, just be your wonderful self. You don't need to try and act any differently.

    ReplyDelete