"Bye ______. "
I said, "See you later,_____."
But he walked away in stony silence, which was so unlike him. I pointed it out to her (how strange it was).
"I must have done something to upset him!" was her instant conclusion.
How absurd, I thought. "He's probably just distracted. Don't worry about it."
But she did, and she texted him when we got back to the apartment. This part is paraphrased because I don't have actual texts, but it's pretty dang close.
"Is everything ok?"
"Not really."
(various other text messages ensue until he tells her what's up.)
"You were happy tonight and I wasn't the cause of that happiness.
When she showed me this text I had a really irrational surge of anger. No. That's not ok. What is she supposed to do, apologize for being happy???? No, just no. That's not friendship. That's not romance. That's stupid, pig-headed selfishness disguised as affection. That's playing the victim and preying on her sweet temper and irrational inclination toward feeling guilty.
More texts ensued, this time with the occasional input of a third party adviser on her part.
She wrote a well-crafted (mostly by the third party, who said that this was how HE would like to be rejected), thoughtful, and honest... rejection of his affections. I didn't even know he thought of her like that. Did I mention the fact that it's 2 am? Because it is. And she mentioned that she should go to bed two hours ago, but the texts just kept coming. (Mom and Dad, thank you for my flip phone and my limited minutes.)
The final text was something like, "When you get married, I want to meet your husband so I can see the man who finally made you happy."
I didn't say anything, but I sort-of turned into a mini rage monster.
People really shouldn't do this to each other.
Not only am I not involved with any guys around here (it ain't a pity and it ain't a shame), but I really miss the hints and clues about my roommies' crushes and boyfriends until it's a big thing or flared and ended.
We live side by side, and yet our hearts are strangers.
In this respect, at least.
I hate not understanding. But I would also hate dealing with the crap that I've seen so many guys put my friends through. So I'm still in a good place.
No comments:
Post a Comment