Sunday, January 5, 2014

Sleep

So, this isn't the most motivational poem for the start of a new semester. But I actually wrote it during this week, so it fits within my goal. 
And so, I give you ....
"Sleep"

Cocoon me in your comfort, dear, and never let me go.

 I'll ignore the simple songs of the morning lark and crow. 

Sheltered 'neath the covers from the worlds' increasing pace.
I'll stay forever here, my dear, within your warm embrace.

The cuckoo cries and beats its wings, hastening the hour.
The pillow can't hide that steady tick which turns my stomach sour.

Pressing duties in the outside world crush my inward peace
So I duck my head 'neath covers till anxieties increase.

Sleep! That gentle death and respite, I seek your solace sweet. 
Calm the beating of my troubled heart, let's the peace of night repeat.

Fill my head with pleasant dreams, bid me no more feel life's pain 

And I'll never wake again, I swear.
I'll never wake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment